March 25, 2009

Not my usual post

So yesterday I'm in a check out line and I look up and the woman who has checked out before me had walked out of the store and stepped off the side of the curb wrong and had fallen on the pavement. She was a large woman, very large ,and she was laying on the ground. The woman working in the store just stood there, and without hesitation I threw my items down and ran outside to help her. Another woman ran from across the parking lot.

I started talking to the lady who had fallen and I knew she was embarrassed, but luckily she didn't think she had broken anything. (I am guessing she weighed between 350 -400 pounds, and she told me that she had a fused ankle and she couldn't stand on it.) At this point a man who had apparently had one too many drinks came up and was yelling "do you want me to call someone?" I wanted to say, "No Otis, we've got it, go back to the bar"... but I refrained. I looked at the woman in her eyes and I said, "You take your time, you WILL get up, and we are going to be here to help you!" I put her purse and sack on the ground. I told her to think about the best position she needed to be in to stand up, and she said she needed to roll to her knees, she did it and in about 5 minutes she had the courage to try to stand up. She did, and we pulled her up.

I know you are wondering, "Karyn where are you going with this?" Well this is where I'm going...help others. Maybe they are embarrassed, maybe you're embarrassed for them, whatever..... just offer to help. Maybe they won't need it, maybe others will beat you there, but whatever you do don't be the girl at the counter staring at her like "Ouch that hurt"...get off your tail and do something. Anything. My dad fell a few times before they diagnosed the cancer. He was losing feeling in his legs and his legs would just come out from under him. I am sure there were people there to help. It absolutely breaks my heart to think there wouldn't be people there to help him.

Whewwwww ....I feel better now. I guess I just needed to vent.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I thought you were going to say that John Quinones from ABC's "what would you do?" popped out from behind the buggies....

no but seriously, nicely done! Love thy neighbor!

The Lj's said...

If you have not already you need to share this story with Lily... it fits right in with our book that we read for Bible this year... What Would Jesus Do? She would be quite proud of her momma and I am proud of you to!

Heather said...

That is an awesome story! We helped out an assumed homeless man on our way home from Six Flags last week...it felt good, and I loved what the kids got out of it, and I know the man appreciated what we did. I agree...everyone needs to help out! Good for you!!

suzspeaks said...

I'm proud of you! I agree too.. My mom has fallen several times, and it breaks my heart that she might have been all alone! Love you for sharing this!

Gena said...

Amen. If everyone could only treat others with the same care they would want to be treated with... reminds me of something Jesus said.