January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

I wanted to wish all my "blogger buddies" a Happy New Year! We actually stayed awake until midnight to ring in the new year. Once the clock struck 12 we kissed, we kissed the girls, and we had a family prayer for 2009. The past year was good, but had challenges as well. DJ started his business and it's gone great and we have been blessed because of it. Lily started kindergarten and she has done amazing! But, from about May thru December, things were rough. Damon's grandmother passed away, one of my best friends grandfather's passed away, my dad was diagnosed with cancer, and my grandmother passed away. Even through the pain, we felt God's love and were blessed to have such an amazing family and great friends to support us! We couldn't have made it without them!

What will 2009 hold? I know that my girls will turn 3 & 6 and DJ and I will turn 33! We will hopefully celebrate our 9th anniversary! ; ) Lily will be a first grader and in school all day! Wow! So much to look forward to.

Since I can remember we eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. We really do it out of tradition and something different, we don't necessarily believe that eating a little pea it will bring good luck!!!

DJ, on the other hand, doesn't eat anything he's FORCED to eat!! He doesn't like black-eyed peas at all. Won't eat them...not even one spoon full. I have fought him each year since we got married...and he refuses! I have told him "Maybe you won't have that bad Johnson luck, you always talk about it you'd just eat some black-eyed peas!" Nothing!! He won't do it. This year victory was mine!! I found a recipe and tweaked it to make it more like something we would like. He loved it. Well maybe the word "love" is strong, but he did say "If you can trick me into eating black-eyed peas that way, I'll do it!" All I know is, if 2009 really sucks, I'm in trouble!! ; )

Karyn's Tricky New Year's Day Dip

1 can ranch style black-eyed peas (drained/rinsed)
1 can southwest style corn (drained/rinsed)
12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
butter, salsa, onion, garlic

Use butter to saute the onion, salsa & garlic. Once that is hot, mix in the cheese, KEEP stirring! Bring the heat down a little and add the drained peas and corn. (Keep stirring.) Serve it hot with tortilla chips. Delish!

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Way to go Karen! That recipe sounds good, I may have to try it. I've got one that is like chili with black-eyed peas in it he may like!