January 27, 2009

Ice Ice Baby!

I'm always shocked to hear the number of people who are terrified to drive on ice and snow. I agree that if you can stay in, that's the best policy but some times there's no choice, you have to drive in the elements! I am always so thankful to my dad for teaching me a lesson that I will never forget...

I was a senior in high school in Byng, Oklahoma (on the outskirts of the large metropolis of Ada.) We lived outside of town and the school I attended was in the country. My dad always drove me to school when weather was bad. My senior year it was icy and snowy and I got all ready for school and walked in the kitchen and said "ok dad, I'm ready." He just said "well, good luck, take it slow and tap your breaks when you stop!" I was shocked, "WHAT? You want me to drive in this? Are you crazy?" He calmly responded "Karyn, you're going to be in college next year, who's going to drive you around when you're out on your own?" I stood there and just stared at him, I was shocked, scared and somewhat excited to try it on my own. I gathered my things and walked out to my car, he again reminded me to go slow and tap my breaks when stopping.

I did it. I left on my own and drove 8 miles on the country roads to get to my school. I did fine, perfectly fine. It was a great lesson for me.

It wasn't until about 3 years later that I found out that he had followed me the entire way. He wanted me to learn, but I was still his baby girl and he wanted to make sure I was safe. What a great daddy!!!!

5 comments:

Jaime said...

What a sweet story--and a great Daddy! I never really learned to drive in the stuff because on the rare occasion we get winter in South Texas our whole city shuts the roads down. Apparently no one who lives here was taught to drive in the stuff! :-)

Aubrie said...

SO sweet that he followed you! I love it.

DetJessandalltherest said...

Aw! What a good dad! You are more of a woman than me.

I hate to say it but I am a big chicken and Brian has to drive me everywhere on this stuff.

"Driving Miss Jess" as we call around here. :)

Elizabeth Mullins said...

I love it! I had no idea you went to Byng. We played against them in basketball. I went to McLoud.

Julie said...

My mom is currently stuck in Coalgate, OK -visiting my grandparents- and will be staying a bit longer due to the ice!! Here in the deep south, we don't drive in that kind of weather...now give us a hurricane and we can drive you any where in those conditions!