April 24, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting


I adore my children! I would do anything for them. Sometimes I wish I could be a stay-at-home mom. Maybe watch kids myself, but then I look at this picture! No thanks!!! Let's see, 6 kids all day...on a good day that would be 24 trips to the bathroom, 18 cups of juice, 12-14 crying sessions, 3 bags of popcorn, 6 corn dogs, 89 trips to the swing set, and a box of band-aids. NO THANK YOU!!!!


God has always blessed me to provide wonderful Christian women to watch my kids. Heather, Lesley, Chiara and Nicole, are wonderful! I wouldn't know what to do without them.


I remember staying at sitters house when I was young. My mom HATES this story, (it makes her cry) but I like to tell it because it explains my hatred towards Oscar (not towards his wieners, but more about the fact that he would give his bologna a first name! Who does that??) So on with the story....
When I was about 5, I had a sitter, I remember her home like I was there yesterday. As a kid, I never wanted my parents to be upset with me (I guess I am still like that today.) That is why I never told my mom about these incidents because I didn't want to get in trouble. Ms. LouAnn would have bologna sandwiches each week. Probably at least 2 times a week! Well I don't like bologna. It's sick, and it stinks like......like bologna!!! So, I wouldn't eat it. I told her I couldn't, it made me gag. (And if you've seen my gag reflex you know I gag easily, just ask my ears nose and throat doctor!! He gets that tonsil stick by my face and I start gagging.)
I realize you are not supposed to give into a child and make them something different to eat because they are picky, but I wasn't asking for something different, I was choosing not to eat. That didn't fly in her house. She would make me go to the bathroom and wait, while the other kids ate. Then she would come in. There were belts that hung on the back of the bathroom door and she would make me pick my belt and get a spanking for not eating the dang bologna sandwiches!!! I don't really know how long it went on, I probably have blocked most of it out. But I do know this, I still don't like bologna sandwiches, or clowns. (Not sure how the clowns fit into this story, but they freak me out in general!)


4 comments:

DeeDee said...

OMG Karyn, that is awful! That almost made me cry. When did you finally tell your mom? What did she do about it? Tell me this woman is NEVER allowed to be around kids again!!!

Nicole said...

I can not imagine EVER spanking anyone elses child but mine. I know back when we were young it was a little more common but that is scary!!! Thats pretty much why only people I know will EVER watch my children!!! I feel so bad for you that you have that terrible memory! I bet you never wanted to go!!

Heather said...

How sad!!! Same as Nicole, I could never imagine spanking someone else's child!! WOW!! And for not wanting to eat bologna!!
I love watching your girls for you...they are so sweet!

Lesley said...

I love your girls like they are my own! Thank you for letting us be a part of their lives!!