February 4, 2009

V-Day......bitter much?

I hate Valentine's Day.

I think I always have. I remember in the second grade a boy name Russel gave me a necklace and chocolates (I think that's what he gave me....mom, help me out here.) It was sweet and made me feel special and weird all at the same time! From then on I think Valentine's was just a strange day. You tape a white paper sack to your desk and watch as kids walk by slowly, staring at you like "Will I give you one....hmmmmm, maybe, maybe not". If they walked past you, you felt rejected and hurt, and if they dropped one in you felt somewhat validated even if the card did only read "to my friend."

Now that I'm a "big girl" I still don't like it. I just don't buy into all the hoop-la. I don't want to stand in line for 75 minutes to eat dinner. I don't want another pink stuffed teddy bear, holding a heart that says "luv u". If my husband spent more than $10 on flowers for me EVER I would be ticked! I don't need a card that cost $4.87 that says "I'm amazing", just tell me in person. Chocolates.....don't get me started!! Sexy lingerie? Yeah sure, that would be great if you could fit into it after eating a 12x12 box of chocolates. Oh and the infamous candy message hearts that read....kiss me, love me, call me, page me, call me again, fax me, call my cell, email me, text me, sing to me........... geeze....bite me!

Oh....and just so you don't start "hatin" on me....I will give my children a valentine. They will send valentine's to their classes at school, and they will wear a pink and red shirt that says something about love on it!! (Insert eye roll here.) Now if that doesn't give you warm fuzzies all over, I don't know what will.

9 comments:

Holly said...

I too do not like V-day. Do something for me on any other day and it means more to me than on V-day. And if Jason ever bought me flowers on V-day I will freak out on him because he got ripped off!

TM said...

You crack me up! I totally agree with you. Stupid Valentine's day.

Gena said...

'luv ya'......so funny. I'm with you on the whole thing.

DeeDee said...

AMEN SISTER!!! In middle school or highschool if I was "going with" someone I would break up with them right before V-Day so I wouldn't have to mess with all that CRAP that goes with it.

Nicole said...

HAHAHA! I always say the same thing!!!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

K, Do I need to give you the lecture on inexpensive traditions?!!!!!!!

Love you! (Seriously)

Heather said...

Funny, Josh and I were just talking about V-day yesterday. I agreed to work (judge gymnastics) on the 14th, and made sure it was okay with him. He said of course...he thinks it shouldn't be celebrated after you get married. I agree...no reason we can't go out on the 15th! I really don't like the inflated prices, and waiting in lines....not necessary. Love your post!

mallory said...

Girl...you are too much! Backing you up on this one.

DetJessandalltherest said...

You are funny! Valentines Day is Valentines Day...some are good, some are "meh", for me. Brian can't really top our first v-day together and they have been on a slow decline since...but I am still optimistic!

Giiiirl. I need some WW pep talk! I am all over the place. I am exercising again and that makes me feel a whole lot better. Good for you! Loosing 7 pounds! I know how hard that is.

We will have to figure out a date to get together - with my schedule lately, things have been hectic! - but we will get there :)