November 11, 2008

My veteran, My Papa

My Papa, Leo "Jack" Utley served in WWII, his job was to drive ammunition trucks to soldiers fighting on the front lines. I can't imagine how scary some of those drives must have been. Papa will turn 92 years old on November 21st. I am amazed at all that he has witnessed in his lifetime. I figured out the other day he has seen 17 presidents in office, that just blows my mind.

He and my Nana, Hazel, weren't married during WWII. She was married to her first husband, Elmo Henderson, who was killed in the war. Nana has letters from Elmo that had the location where he was cut out, or blacked out where she couldn't see. She never knew for sure where he was stationed, or when he would be home, and didn't get phone calls or emails from him. It was such a different time. She knew he was fighting for our country, and she relied on other friends and family to survive.

We take for granted our freedoms, all of them! Not just freedom for our Country, but simple, everyday freedoms too. We are so blessed.

Thank you Papa! Thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedom. Your dedication and service to God, your family, and your country are something to be proud of. You have built a legacy for our family and for that we are grateful! We love you!!




1 comment:

jenn b said...

It's truly amazing the changes our grandparents have witnessed! Wonder what your papa thinks of the new president elect! Our generation has grown up expecting so much, we don't appreciate what we've never had to be without!