August 19, 2008

Journal Journey

On August 18th, 1981 my mother started a gift I will cherish always. She started a journal of my "school years". She gave it to me at my high school graduation. She captured moments and dates in school like; first dates, school trips, birthday parties, etc.



When she gave it to me at graduation I remember thinking, "Oh neat". At that time I didn't truly appreciate it, or what she had done for me. But tonight, as I opened it, I re-read the first entry, and cried...and I'm still crying now! Almost exactly 27 years to the day, I started kindergarten and this is what my mom had to say....


Aug 18, 1981

For five years now I've had the wonderful opportunity to prepare you for a milestone in your life - your first day of kindergarten. I think we've had five GREAT years! Even though I've had to work, I think we've developed a very close relationship. I'm starting a diary of your school life, and I will be adding events as they happen to you. I love you more than you'll ever know, and I hope we will always be good friends! A mother-daughter relationship is one of the most precious relationships in the world, and I thank you for the wonderful memories!

Love, Mother

Tonight, August 19, 2008 I will write the first entry in my daughters journal. Thanks mom for starting a wonderful tradition and giving me so much more than just a journal! Thank YOU for the wonderful memories!!

12 comments:

Gena said...

I can't handle these stories right now. That is so precious.

suzspeaks said...

That is the neatest story ever!! I'm emotional and I'm not even there yet! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow!

Mandy said...

What a great idea. I wonder if a boy would appreciate one? Good luck tomorrow.

Lesley said...

so sweet! i need meds!

Summer said...

you're killin me, Karyn

DeeDee said...

ya stop it Karyn, you aren't suppose to make us weepy you are suppose to make us Laugh - that is your job!

Nicole said...

I am going to do it too. I remember you telling me about that.

Renee Conley said...

That is the sweetest thing. I'm crying thinking about my baby starting kindergarten tomorrow. It doesn't seem real to me yet.

Unknown said...

Your mother is so sweet.

Unknown said...

What a cool idea! It made me teary just reading it.

jenn b said...

Very sweet! Here's another idea we're going to try... Take a video of your kiddo running around the corner of your house every year on the first day of school and then put them all together when they graduate .. everytime they run around the house they're a year older...too cool. Wish I could say it was my idea but can't remember where I heard it.

The Davidsons said...

That's so neat. What a great idea!