July 16, 2008

Feedback?

At what point do we stop sugar coating? When do we stop saying "I'll tell you when you're older?" I am serious here, I need some guidance. I have said before, if Lily asks me a question I give her a real answer. (I don't always go into great detail, but I give her an answer.)

Example:

L: What's a period?
Me: It's something a woman gets when she is older
L: I will get a period when I am older?
Me: Yes
L: Okay


So last night we drive by a cemetery. And it goes like this...

L: Those are graves, right?
Me: Yes
L: What's in a grave?
Me: Well when we die, what part goes to Heaven?
L: Our soul.
Me: Right! But our bodies, the skin & bones, they have to.....be.......uh.....uh..........so did you and Miss Re have fun at Pelican Bay today?
L: Yeah it was fun!

At what point do we "elaborate?" When do we stop saying "I'll tell you when you're older?" I want to be able to teach my child, and if she asks a question, I want her to get the answer from me. And if you know Lily, you know if she doesn't get the answer from me, she'll just ask one of you! I know she's only 5, but she learns new things every day, and I want to give her information to help her grow, but also don't want to freak her out either!!

Feedback?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I told Brenna we won't need these bodies in Heaven because we get new ones. That led to a conversation about what will our new bodies look like....thankfully that was excited and we didn't have to go into the details of why they are in teh ground! :)

Lesley said...

I was putting a tampon in the swim bag and she asked what it was. I said "a tampon". she said whats a "pampon?" i said it for that thing you know when you get older that your mom told you about? she looked so confused, so i said "ask your mom tonight what a tampon is". you choose the subject: tampons or dead bodies.

Lesley said...

Oh yeah, how did ya answer that one question she had last week? remember she asked me how babies come out- I told her to ask you that too!

Mandy said...

I talked to B a lot about dead people preparing him for my Grandma's funeral. We were going to the viewing so he would see her laying there. I went the same route Sarah did with the new bodies. He then asked me how we put them on. Do we just zip them up like P.J.s?