May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


Yesterday in bible class our teacher asked us the meaning of Memorial Day. I knew the answer, it is a time set aside to remember those who lost their lives fighting for our freedom. But unfortunately, that isn't what I celebrate. I celebrate sleeping in, and being home with my family, eating hamburgers, potato salad, and yummy desserts with cool whip on top.
I called my Nana today, and got her perspective. (My Nana's first husband, Elmo, was killed in World War II, and she married my Papa years after Elmo's death. My Papa was also a veteran of WWII.) I asked Nana, "How did you celebrate Memorial Day as a child?" Her response was so interesting (keep in mind she was one of 12 children), she said,
"Mama would make us girls a decoration dress, it was fancy and sometimes we got black patten shoes. Daddy would hook up the wagon and all us kids would load up. Mama made biscuits and put fresh veggies in a bowl. She would fry some chicken and put it in a bowl with dishtowels over it. Then we would ride in the wagon (to 2 different towns) and go put flowers on our grandparents graves, and then to our little brother's grave. It was a day to remember and show respect to everyone who had passed away."
Her story brought tears to my eyes. So here's your challenge, call a grandparent, uncle, or great aunt, and ask them the question "How did you celebrate Memorial Day as a child?" I think the answers will warm your heart!

1 comment:

suzspeaks said...

thanks for that positive comment~!!

That's so cool that you called your Nana and got that info! How special that you know that now!

Hope you guys had a great weekend!