June 4, 2009

When opportunity knocks.....you have to ANSWER!

A little history here folks, I have a degree in public relations. When I graduated from college.....10 years ago (seriously? 10 years... wow) I took a job at the bank. My goal was to move to the marketing department but after being there for 6 months the director of the department asked me to be his executive assistant. I thought to myself "Look buddy, I didn't go to college to be someones executive assistant!" THEN, he told me how much he would pay me, and I said "Oh.... maybe I DID go to school to be an executive assistant!" $$$$$$$$$$$



My job at the bank lasted 8 years until they shut down our department. I had to find a new job and that's what led me to my current job. I am the exec assistant to the president of the company, but my main reason for choosing this job (had 3 job offers to pick from) was because there was a need for someone in marketing/pr and my hope was to move up and eventually get one of those positions. They knew that when I can aboard, and I have been doing a majority of the marketing for the company now.


About a month ago one of my best friends, Shel, tells me that her friend "D" (I like to protect the names of the innocent) works at a place and they are looking to hire someone in marketing. I emailed her my resume, and she let me know they had already done interviews, I didn't think much more about it, until.....


about two weeks later. She called me. "D"and the owner of the company wanted to interview me. The interview went great! The company, Heritage, is located in ElReno and they do high end print, promotional products, websites, etc. It was awesome. The excitement of thinking about accepting an opportunity that went along my my career path, was amazing! Even though I have done marketing activity for both the bank and United, this opportunity would be the real deal, a position dealing with everything I love. Of course that excitement didn't help make the thought of leaving United easy, they've been great and I love the people here.

stay with me here folks....it's about to get good....

The day after my 2nd interview with Heritage I came back to work and I was told by the president (who I work for) that the owner of the company had made a decision that was out of his control. His son-in-law was moving from Tulsa to become the Director of Marketing! Hold up!!!!! Wait a minute, that's my job! That's the job I've been working towards for the last 2.5 years. At that moment I knew, if Heritage calls, I'm in.


Well........................


I start with Heritage as the Director of Marketing on June 29th.

God is good. Wow! The timing of events was incredible, and I know God was in control. If He opens doors, go through them willing....if not He'll just push you through a window, and sometimes that can hurt.

14 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

That is incredible! I am so glad God in charge! He always knows what we need! Can't wait to hear how your transitiong goes!

Summer said...

Congrats! Are you guys moving???

Christi said...

That is awesome! I love to hear God stories. Congratulations!

Gena said...

That is awesome. That is so obviously the power of God, huh? And you better not be moving. Sounds more like a commute.

Nicole said...

YAY!!! COngratulations. R u sitll going to live here and commute. HOw long does it take you. I knew somehting good would come your way. I am so happy for you!!!

kj said...

We live right off the turnpike and it's 30 min from my driveway to their office. So it's like living in Norman and working downtown. I also get to work a flexible schedule around school hours, etc!I'm excited!!!!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

What an awesome story! Many thanks to our heavenly Father!

Alyssa said...

Yippie for you! That's a great opportunity! Miss you and thanks for sending Mrs. Bigelow the blog link.

DetJessandalltherest said...

That is great! So happy for you - congrats! congrats!

Julie said...

SWEET!!! Congrats!!

Holly said...

WOW! Praise God! That is such an awesome testimony!!!

jenn b said...

Congratulations! What a gift to be able to truly put your talents to work! But, who's going to tell Alvin what to do now!? ;)

Chellie said...

What an awesome story. Good luck with the new job! It's great to have a job doing something you love.

Jaime said...

Congrats, Karyn. That is great!!!