March 9, 2011

Cancer Sucks.

I hate cancer.

Really, I do.

Here's an update on my dad. He has multiple myeloma which is a cancer of plasma cells, a type of white blood cell present in bone marrow. Today (he tried yesterday but his numbers were too low) he’s starting the harvesting process for his stem cells. That means right now there is no new cancer that they can see at this point, so that is why they are harvesting at this time.

This process is Autologous stem cell transplants, (AHHH, thank you Google) in which his peripheral blood stem cells are taken from him (harvested), frozen until needed, then given back to him (transplanted) after he has received high doses of chemotherapy, radiation therapy or both, to destroy the myeloma cells. (I feel like I could write an episode of Grey's Anatomy now.)

For the next 3 days they will harvest (at the OK Blood Institute.) It’s a 4 hour long process each day, they need millions of these good cells. Then at some point later they will do chemo and radiation to basically shock his body and hopefully kill anything bad. Then they put the good cells back. Long, painful, procedure.

This is from his blog post today....
God continues to take good care of me, and we rest our faith in him. You know King David put his faith in God and God cared for him and he was even called a "man after God's own heart." I hope to continue to be the kind of man God wants and needs for me to be. So keeping my faith in God is my ultimate Goal -- and whatever he plans for me is what he wants. Please pray that I can keep my faith in our Heavenly Father.

God is good! That's our motto, and we're stickin' to it.

8 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I'm with you. I feel like we are all going to get it sooner or later. I lost my Dad almost 10 years ago now to it. I remember stroking his hair in the hospital saying that very same thing. Now we see it taking away my father-in-law.

We pray for your Dad daily. He's in our Bible class and we love him! We will continue to pray and ask that this treatment will be successful. I am encouraged that some cancers are more treatable than others and research continues!!!

Love you.

Alyssa said...

totally sucks. Many family members on my mom's side have had it, or fought it, or it was too late to do anything. I've been meaning to make a list of just the people I know that have/had it. It would be a long list. :(

Kayla said...

Oh my. We will be praying during this process.

Emily said...

Yes, cancer does suck.

Just the other day, I was praying and said, "God, honestly. Cancer. Could someone do something about that please?"

I'll add your dad to my list of prayer people. It's obvious he is very loved.

Catherine said...

I know... it really stinks. Just thinking about your dad, my dad, M. Gar., John M., and Dr.V..... I just hate it! And as you know, that's merely a small sampling of who we know who's facing this battle. But as always, prayers continue and God really is good. His ways are not my ways. And I trust that one day He really will call His faithful home -- therein lies my hope. But right now... yeah, it stinks.

Elizabeth Mullins said...

I have been thinking and praying for your family! I know this affects the entire unit. I hope that these procedures will help cure him!

vivianjane said...

Amen, sweet sister.
Jane

Danamom said...

I hate cancer too. Praying for your peace and your dad's healing.

Still love you