January 28, 2011

World's Suckiest Mom.

Last night I was cleaning out a cabinet. (Nothing good ever comes from cleaning.) My sweet 4 year old found a scrapbook. A REAL scrapbook. With pictures, trinkets, glue, goodies, stickers, adorable paper, cutouts, and sweet notes....all about her OLDER SISTER.

She ooo'd and awww'd and then said, "Mommy, where's my book like this!?"

I started to sweat. Quick, think fast. I could lie..."honey, there was a fire, a flood, the dog ate it"...but I didn't lie. "Mommy has it started, it's in my closet." She rushed to my closet. Oh I've got it started all right. Her name is written in it.

She ran to her dad. "My book like sissy's isn't started, it only has my name." (I suck.)

My sweet husband tried to bail me out, "Well mom is going to do it, you know when she did your sisters? When you were born. So Lily was almost 3 years old, so see...moms not that far behind with yours." (I don't feel like he's helping me at this point, I can feel the sarcasm. She's broken. I've caused this pain. Then "his help" gets worse.) "Do you want to help mommy do it? Cut the paper and pick things out to go in your book?" Her eyes light up, and she yells, "YES!" GREAT, now I'm behind on this scrapbook, and have a full time project manager to dictate my every movement.

I've GOT to get her 1st year book done, so she'll always have it. They will both have one book that I actually spent time cutting & creating. Then after that, it's printed blogs for me. Someday when my kids feel let down and think they have the suckiest mom in the world that never documented anything in their lives, I'll be able to say..."look girls, look....Mommy blogged, SEE - I do CARE!"

9 comments:

Kayla said...

hahaha! Sounds like you'll have your hands full for a while!!

Alyssa said...

I'm so behind too. My kids just haven't found me out yet.

Stef said...

Karyn, I'm in the boat with you, if not drowning alongside it. I don't think I even have enough pictures to fill a scrapbook. And of course half are still IN the camera... not even ON photo paper to put in the non-existent scrapbook. Sucky moms unite!

Mandy said...

You can come scrapbook with me next time I go. It's 5 hours of uninteruped work time. We can go Sat. Feb. 5th from 6-11 if you want.

Catherine said...

Yeah, I'm sittin' here thinking how pathetic it is that Ethan doesn't even have one, much less Caleb! Like Stef, if I ever printed the pic's from the computer, I "MIGHT could" do a book for each kid. I also have to rat out Alyssa, much as I love her. She may be behind, but one day about a year and a half ago, I happened to see her kids' "Santa" books. The children EACH have a book of themselves sitting on Santa's lap each year. Really adorable way to show them from year to year. I cried for my failure. No, Karyn! I mean I actually shed tears for my Mommy failure. Was PMS to blame? Maybe. But I still stink.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Give yourself a break! I did "baby books" for my kids where you fill in the blanks and throw a few pics in, but have never made them their own scrapbooks yet. I plan on doing that "someday." Their "school albums" I let them fill in themselves after the school year is over and we put in a few items along with the school pic from that year. It does get harder to get them to do it, but you could be like my sister and use 1 week out of the summer to focus on that stuff.

I do family albums and vacation albums. I am 5 years behind on the family albums! But what I am planning on doing "someday" is taking the double prints (remember those?) and divy them up between the 3 kids and making them albums out of those. I'll have my family albums to refer to as to how old or whatever the pictures are...

Don't know if that helps or not, but I hope so! Do what is easiest for you, and don't feel guilty. I have decided when my youngest graduates high school, that I will go to online scrapbooking!

Sarah said...

Karyn, I have just one question for you. Where is YOUR scrapbook? You know, the one your mom did for you?

You don't have one right? And you turned out ok (just like car seats)!! My mom didn't do one either.
Lighten up on yourself. Enjoy the kids, not just the pictures of the kids. :)

(As I side note, I'd LOVE for you to join Mandy on Saturday...I'll be there too. I'll even bring you DMD!!!)

Elizabeth Mullins said...

I am there with ya! Corban's is not up to his 1st birthday and Landice has two pages done, but poor Hayden...oh boy! I think I am going to do their first year and then printed ones too! Less pressure!

Gena said...

I have never started a scrapbook, failed miserably at baby books, and am totally counting my blog as documentation that I was a caring mother! ;)